***BOOKING WORKSHOPS IS CURRENTLY IN BETA - WE ARE CURRENTLY TESTING THE BOOKING FEATURE - PLEASE GIVE US UNTIL 2/13 BEFORE BOOKING THE WORKSHOP
Workshop Description: In this half day workshop you will learn to make hot-process soap safely and with confidence. This introductory class covers ingredients; safety procedures; basic formulation theory and scenting with essential oils. Create a 1 lb batch (4 bars) of soap scented with essential oils of your choosing, perfect for gifts and personal use. Our workshops are hands-on soap-making - meaning that after watching Kim demonstrate so that you see the process and safety procedures used, YOU become the soap-maker!
CHOOSE A DATE/TIME FROM THE AVAILABLE DATES ABOVE AND DETAILS WILL BE EMAILED TO YOU AFTER PURCHASE. Seats are held for purchase for 15 minutes then released due to high demand.
|Min # participants:||2|
|Max # participants:||5|
|Class length:||3 hrs|
Outline: This workshop is intended as an introduction to soap making procedures to make soap from scratch. We will cover:
- The history of making soap from scratch
- Basic soap chemistry
- Safety precautions working with lye (sodium hydroxide)
- Measuring, mixing and monitoring temperatures
- Soap molds, liners and other necessary equipment
- Demonstration of making soap
- Essential oil blending
- You will make your first batch of soap and two aromatherapy rollers, which you will take home
Preparing for class:
- Come excited and open to learn
- Think about an essential oil mix you would like for your soap
- Please wear old clothes in case of splatter - long sleeves (not flowy), full length pants and closed toed shoes.
- Be aware that after receiving safety instructions and guidance about the protective gear you should always wear (safety goggles, etc), you must sign a Liability Waiver for us before being allowed around ‘lye’ and the production area.
Take homes & hand outs:
- Custom batch of soap, made by you - 4 bars
- Custom mixed aromatherapy rollers, made by you - 2 rollers
*The workshop fee includes lecture, demonstration, beverages and light snacks; all supplies and materials needed to make a batch of soap (oils, butters, lye, essential oils, safety goggles, gloves and aprons) and aromatherapy rollers.
- If workshop does not have enough participants, class will be cancelled at least 5 days before class and paid students will receive a full refund.
- Our workshops are planned for small groups of up to 5 participants, and often require us to turn away additional participants when the workshops fill.
- Should you need to cancel your attendance - for any reason - please let us know as soon as possible. If we can fill your space prior to 7 days before the workshop, you will receive a refund of your payment minus a $25 non-refundable deposit. If we cannot fill your space at that point, you will receive half of your original payment returned via payment method received.
- If you give us less than 7 days notice or just don’t show up for the workshop(s), no refund or credit will be given.
- You are welcome to send someone else in your place if you cannot attend yourself.